Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sonnet 87

I feel like the speaker is trying to guilt the reader into staying, because of his extensive use of flattery. In the first few sonnets when he was trying to convince him to reproduce, he used extensive flattery, and I feel like that must be his weapon of choice. Since he is so good at manipulating words, I think it would be hard for anyone not to be subdued after reading a sonnet like this. If someone told me that they didn’t deserve me and that I was a gift fit for a king, sure it would inflate my ego, but then it could convince me to do one of two things; leave that person because I agreed with them that yes, I was fit for a king, or 2, I would stay because it would appear as if I had them under my complete and total control and they would do anything to convince me to stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment